Job Purpose: Provide functional oversight to operation of an instructional or research laboratory. Activities include instruction in lab procedures and safety, development of lab procedures, conducting experiments, budgeting and purchasing, equipment and inventory maintenance and maintaining records. May provide work direction to student assistants.
- Provide instruction to lab users on proper use of lab equipment, lab safety, protocols and procedures related to conducting experiments.
- Prepare and on approval administer laboratory budget; purchase supplies and equipment and maintain related records.
- Maintain laboratory facility in safe, clean and organized manner.
- Coordinate scheduling of lab usage.
- Develop and implement laboratory policy and procedures; incorporate best practices as appropriate.
- Calibrate lab instrumentation and maintain lab equipment.
- May direct the scheduling and work of student assistants assigned to laboratory.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in scientific field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Four to five years job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires working knowledge of instructional or research laboratory operation to include equipment calibration and maintenance, laboratory processes and procedures and lab safety rules and practices. Skills in communication, customer service, work guidance and instruction are required as is the use of specialty and general computer applications. Experience with microCT imaging and analyses. Dexterity with use of tools in small sample handling, placement, and manipulation. Experience with utilizing surgical tools for tissue dissection. Experience with Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
•Preferred Education: Master's Degree
•Preferred Work Experience:
•* Physics of X-ray imaging techniques
•* Biomedical devices, tools, and characterization techniques
•* Dexterity with use of tools in small sample handling, placement, and manipulation
•*Mechanical testing experience – theoretical and physical
•* Experience with the following software or services: GraphPad (or other statistics software), core facility management systems (e.g. SUMS)
•Experience with basic network administration skills
•* Experience coordinating with machine shop to fabricate parts
•* Experience working with tools such as drill press and band saw
•Experience with non-Windows, non-Mac operating systems such as Unix
•* Optical Microscopy and other imaging techniques that measure fluorescence and bioluminescence
•Experience with generating budget documentation in academic setting
•Preferred Certifications: N/A
•Preferred Skills: Use of required skills practiced in a university environment is preferred.
Additional Information: The pre-employment process may include skills testing and assessments. The successful candidate must also be able to pass a background check which will include a credit check.
Please attach a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, with this application. Please name each file “Last Name Initial_First Name Initial – Cover Letter” and “Last Initial_First Name Initial – Resume.”